Barefoot Contessa’s Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding is a combo of three things Lydia loves. She loved watching Ina Garten and has several of her cookbooks. Ina Garten suggests in the book that this would be great with turkey, so in honor of soon-to-be Thanksgiving, try this recipe.
In honor of this year’s AFTD Food For Thought campaign, I will be posting some of Lydia’s favorite recipes. She liked cooking, watching Anthony Bourdain, the Cooking Channel, the Food Network, Gourmet Magazine, Saveur, Martha Stewart and many, many more. I have her cookbook collection at my house, plus there is a stash of hers at our parents’ house, too.
- 6 cups (½-inch-diced) bread cubes from a rustic country loaf, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces pancetta, small-diced
- 4 cups sliced leeks, white and light green parts (4 leeks)
- 1½ pounds cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and ¼-inch-sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup medium or dry sherry
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1½ cups grated Gruyère cheese (6 ounces), divided
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread cubes on a sheet pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside.
Join us for a gourmet food and wine event at
Grapes & Hops in Downtown Ventura at 454 E. Main Street, plus music by Kelly’s Lot and Friends
September 27, 2018 from 6:00 to 9:00 PM
Tickets are $50/person to have a gourmet food buffet and a glass of
white, red, or sparkling wine from the award-winning Grapes & Hops.
Acoustic music from Kelly’s Lot and Friends.
Kelly’s latest: ‘Rescue’ made it on the Roots Music Report Charts in 2018.
#1 Soul Blues Song, #2 Soul Blues Album, #7 California Album
Tickets available for purchase on https://lydiasftdhouse.com/events/
or on the right side bar of this site.
Thank you to our generous supporters for donating to AFTD.