We eat a lot of this as a side dish in our family. This recipe is from “Mad Hungry” by Lucinda Scala Quinn. In honor of this year’s AFTD Food For Thought campaign, I will be posting some of Lydia’s favorite recipes. She liked cooking, watching Anthony Bourdain, the Cooking Channel, the Food Network, Gourmet Magazine, Saveur, Martha Stewart and many, many more. I have her cookbook collection at my house, plus there is a stash of hers at our parents’ house, too.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup dried vermicelli noodles, broken into roughly 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the butter, and as soon as the butter melts, add the onion. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the noodles, lower the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until the noodles are golden brown and the mixture gives off a nutty aroma, 5 to 8 minutes.
Join us for a gourmet food and wine event at
Grapes & Hops in Downtown Ventura at 454 E. Main Street, plus music by Kelly’s Lot and Friends
September 27, 2018 from 6:00 to 9:00 PM
Tickets are $50/person to have a gourmet food buffet and a glass of
white, red, or sparkling wine from the award-winning Grapes & Hops.
Acoustic music from Kelly’s Lot and Friends.
Kelly’s latest: ‘Rescue’ made it on the Roots Music Report Charts in 2018.
#1 Soul Blues Song, #2 Soul Blues Album, #7 California Album
Tickets available for purchase on https://lydiasftdhouse.com/events/
or on the right side bar of this site.
Thank you to our generous supporters for donating to AFTD.